– One day you won’t want me to carry you anymore, even when I want to, just because, so I’ll work harder at savoring the moments now when you’re saying (very firmly, in your incredibly cute toddler voice) UPPIE, UPPIE!
– One day you won’t want me to play with you anymore, so I’ll work harder at truly enjoying every moment you take my hand and say “C’mon Momma, c’mon, c’mon!!” and instruct me to sit on the living room floor to enjoy a feast of fake hotdogs, broccoli, corn and donuts.
– One day you’ll realize that my dancing skills are horribly lacking and what you now think of as so much fun ‘dancing’ (running, skipping, jumping, and occasionally all three combined) in the basement to the tunes coming from your kiddy piano is actually really just a horrific attempt at pretending I have rhythm, so I’ll work harder to ‘dance like no one is watching’ and savor every squeal of delight you expel from your little body.
– One day you won’t want me singing to you anymore, you’ll realize that I am 100% (possibly 200%) tone deaf, so I’ll continue to sing to you every morning I get you out of your crib and when I put you down to bed at night, and any opportunity I get to do so in between.
– One day you won’t make a big mess when eating with your hands, you’ll be too big to do that, so I’ll work harder at appreciating each and every dirty face, spilled food, squeezed juice box and wiping you down in the aftermath of meal and snack time.
– One day you won’t want to go shopping with us anymore, so I’ll work harder at enjoying every trip, even when you want to run away to play, unpack every shelf or have us open up every item we were planning (or not) on buying RIGHT NOW!!
– One day you won’t want to be ‘worn’ anymore despite how much I love having you that close to me, so I’ll work on toughening up, you’re a little heavier now and my back/shoulders hurt a little more quickly, but you, my daughter, are worth it!!
– One day you won’t want us to come with you to the park, you won’t think having your mom and/or momma slide and swing with you is ‘cool’, so I’ll work harder to enjoy every trip to the park, every time you yell out “Let’s go to PAAARRRKKK!” and every time you say, “Again, again, again!” even though it’s the 47th time we’ve gone down the slide today.
– One day you won’t want to follow in our footsteps, you won’t want to walk alongside us, you’ll be ready to burn your own path in this great big world, and I’ll encourage you to do just that, because you can be anything you want to be. For now I’ll work harder to be the role model you need in life, to be the best mom I can be, to love you unconditionally, and to show you that love, every single day. For my child – for you to know that you are loved, you are smart, you are important (to your mom’s and to the world) is all I can ask for – and I’ll work harder to enjoy every minute along the way!!